My 7th piece of crypto art is now available exclusively on Super Rare. I created this one using an combination of Cinema 4d, Unreal Engine, and After Effects.
Here are a few things to check when moving your Cinema 4D scene over to Unreal Engine:
1. PROPER CINEMA 4D TEXTURES FOR UNREAL ENGINE
Have you already textured your scene in Cinema 4D? If you’re wanting to bring textures over, it’s important to know Unreal Engine won’t accept third-party or PBR textures. So, when you’re building your scene, make sure you’re sticking with standard materials.
DOUBLE-CHECK CINEWARE SETTINGS
There are a few boxes you want to make sure to check under the Cineware tab in the project settings. So, to navigate to the project panel in Cinema 4D, press Command + D.
Once that is up, you should see a tab for Cineware. Make sure these three settings are enabled:
- Save Polygon Cache
- Save Animation Cache
- Save Material Cache
SAVING THE PROJECT PROPERLY
You won’t be able to open up the standard Cinema 4D project file in Unreal Engine 4. There is a specific saving function for making sure your data can be accessible.
Here’s how to save your Cinema 4D Project file for Unreal Engine 4:
- In Cinema 4D, click the File menu.
- Scroll down and select “Save Project for Cineware” (or older versions “Save Project for Melange”).
- Choose a location to save the file and hit save
- There are a few steps to getting your Cinema 4D files loaded up into Unreal Engine. We’ll go over what plugins you’ll need, project setting and more.
UNREAL ENGINE PROJECT SETTINGS
Once you’ve fired up the program, you’ll be met by the Unreal Project Browser. Here is what you’ll want to set up:
- Under the project categories, select Film, Television, and Live Events
- Select a Blank Template
- In Project Settings, select if you’re working with a Ray-tracing compatible card or not
- At the bottom of Project Settings, select where to save the file
- Click Create Project at the bottom
INSTALL THE DATASMITH C4D IMPORTER PLUGIN
There is a special plugin you’ll need to grab for this workflow. Unreal Engine actually has a search functionality built-in that helps a ton. Here’s how to access the plugin library and install the Datasmith C4D Importer:
- At the top of the program click the settings button
- Select plugins
- In the left column select the Built-in list
- On the top right-click in the search bar and search “Datasmith C4D Importer”
- Click the enable check-box and then click “Yes”
After working through these steps you’ll need to restart Unreal Editor for the changes to take effect.
Once inside of Unreal Engine I texture, light, and polish the scene.
After rendering out of Unreal Engine all the render passes are brought into After Effects for final polishing
You can bid on Krypto City on SuperRare! https://tinyurl.com/SuperRareKryptoCity
FOLLOW ME SOCIAL MEDIA:
➜ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jonathanwinbush
➜ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WinbushOfficial
➜ Twitter: https://twitter.com/JonathanWinbush
➜ ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/jonathanwinbush
➜ Discord: https://discord.gg/XDuetTN
➜ Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/jonathanwinbush
➜ SuperRare: https://superrare.co/winbush